Patient Centered Medical Home
First Colonial Family Practice is pleased to report that we are focused on becoming recognized as a Patient Centered Medical Home, also known as the PCMH model.
Many of the requirements for recognition are the things that we do every day, but what does it mean for you, the patient? By definition, the PCMH model puts the patient at the center by providing primary health care that is relationship-based toward the whole person. Our health care team wants a strong partnership with patients and their families by encouraging understanding and respect of each patient’s needs, values, culture, and preferences. In doing so, we hope to ensure that patients are fully informed partners in establishing health care plans.
How do we do this?
- By providing comprehensive care including but not limited to prevention and wellness, acute care, and chronic disease management. This requires a team effort including physicians, non-physician providers such as physician assistants, nursing staff, front office staff, and patient ambassadors, as well as outside sources such as specialists.
- Getting the patient involved in his/her care through education and care plans that encourage the patient to learn to manage and become an active member in his/her health.
- Coordination of medical services such as specialty care, home health care, hospitalizations, and behavioral health. It is our intent to assure smooth transitions between all entities.
- Providing accessibility to care by providing same day appointments for urgent needs, providing access to a physician after hours, and providing alternative means of communication with our team members such as through our electronic patient portal.
- Quality of care by using evidence-based medicine and clinical decision support tools. This helps clinicians and patients to implement care plans based on proven methods. First Colonial Family Practice will measure its performance against national standards, seek feedback from patients regarding their experiences and satisfaction through surveys, and implement measures to improve in areas that are found lacking. Transparency is a vital part of our communication with our patients and their families.
We hope that you, our patients, are as excited as we are about this. We have always endeavored to provide high-quality care as well as meeting the needs of our patients. The PCMH model will only enhance and reinforce our commitment.
The front desk will now join to welcome you as part of the team to further ensure your visit with us is the best it can be. You will notice a few small changes at check-in that will help us foster our goal as a patient-centered medical practice you will be happy to call home — please start by signing in on the sheet provided at check-in and you will be called by your doctor’s assistant.